Tuesday, May 8, 2012

God is All Powerful

I'm tired. Ever since I started actively looking for a job, I haven't been sleeping well at all. I don't usually tend to worry too much, since there's no point in worrying, but I've had a hard time not worrying about a job.
Therefore, with David's accident, I have slept even less. I wake up multiple times a night, and I wake up early in the morning, after going to bed late. 

I'm not trying to complain. It really is just the facts of life. I am amazed though at how little one can sleep, and still function and be kind to others. It is much more of a fight though. It can be hard to remember to treat people kindly when you're tired. 
After a little reminder from a blog I follow, I realized why this has all been a struggle. I realized that it's because I feel as though I have no control over my life. After reading 2 Chronicles 20, I decided that I'm okay with that, at least I want to be okay with that. 


At this time in 2 Chronicles 20, the king of Judah was Jehoshaphat, and he was warned that a vast army was coming against him. Jehoshaphat then says, ""Lord, the God of our ancestors, are you not the God who is in heaven? You rule over all the kingdoms of the nations. Power and might are in your hand, and no one can withstand you.7 Our God, did you not drive out the inhabitants of this land before your people Israel and give it forever to the descendants of Abraham your friend?8 They have lived in it and have built in it a sanctuary for your Name, saying,9 'If calamity comes upon us, whether the sword of judgment, or plague or famine, we will stand in your presence before this temple that bears your Name and will cry out to you in our distress, and you will hear us and save us.'"


Power and might are in your hand, and no one can withstand you. 


That just seems so comforting to me. 


Further on it says, "This is what the Lord says to you: 'Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God's." 


Although this is talking about an actual army, and a real battle, I feel like we fight battles every day. Some may be major battles, and others may be tiny battles. The thing is, we have an almighty, powerful God who will fight right along with us. 


Needless to say, this doesn't mean I will stop worrying, and that I will stop feeling as though everything is out of control, but I am comforted at the thought of God fighting my battles. I know that God will win. I also know that most of the time things will not go the way that *I* want them to, but most of the time, the things that *I* want aren't always the best for me. 


About two weeks ago, I asked David what adjectives he thought of when he thought of God. The first one he said was that he thought of God as all powerful. I could not agree more. 


Happy Tuesday to you :) 

No comments: